Saturday, February 4, 2012

Reach a Healthy Weight by Eliminating Your Challenges One by One

ByHarriet Hodgson

Expert Author Harriet Hodgson

I am a grandmother and my weight loss challenges are age-related--arthritis, Minnesota weather, a wobbly walk, shifting calcium deposit in my ear, and blood pressure medication. Though I cannot remove all of these challenges, I can face them, prepare for them, and evaluate them. You may be at a similar point in your life.

My goals are simple. I want to get back to a healthy weight and stay there. To do this, I identified my weight loss challenges and worked to eliminate them.

First, I have made an appointment for a physical exam. During the exam my physician will evaluate my overall health, check my medications, and order necessary tests. Test results will determine the treatment.

At this age and stage of life I have arthritic joints. Fortunately, the pain is mild and my solution is to take over-the-counter medication. I also have a wobbly walk and have started strength training to counter it. According to a Mayo Clinic website article, "Fitness Training: Elements of a Well-Rounded Routine," this training increases bone strength and muscular fitness.

"Older adults in particular should include in their routine exercises to maintain or improve balance," Mayo Clinic notes. I found a series of balance exercises on the Mayo Clinic website. I started with balancing on one leg, holding the other leg up and forwards. With practice, I hope to be able to hold this position for 30 seconds, to start with, and gradually increase the time. I will try other exercises as well.

The inner ear controls balance. When the calcium deposit in my ear shifts, I cannot balance or walk very well. However, I have learned how to do a repositioning maneuver. After I have done the maneuver, I must sit up for at least eight hours. Sleeping in a sitting position isn't fun, but I am willing to do it because the maneuver works.

Blood pressure medication is my final challenge and I will probably take it for the rest of my life. The medicine slows my heart rate, which is good, and causes leg cramps, which is bad. I have learned how to stretch to remove cramps and learned how to take my own blood pressure. Most important, I refill my prescription well before I would run out of pills.

As you can see, I have faced every challenge and taken action on it. I am taking other proactive steps as well--cutting back on sugar, eating more whole grains, and striving for six to seven servings of fruits/vegetables a day. If you are trying to reach a healthy weight, think about your personal challenges and take action on them. Keeping a food diary may also be helpful.

Reaching a healthy weight takes gumption, time and patience. "Are you ready to start?" Mayo Clinic asks in its book. "Mayo Clinic: Healthy Weight for Everybody." According to Mayo, you need to identify your personal barriers and learn to cope with them. You have the power to lose weight, Mayo continues, and should "cheer yourself on!"

Copyright 2012 by Harriet Hodgson

http://www.harriethodgson.com

Harriet Hodgson has been an independent journalist for 35+ years and is the author of 30 books. She is the author of six grief resources--"Smiling Through Your Tears: Anticipating Grief," Lois Krahn, MD, co-author, "Writing to Recover: The Journey from Loss and Grief to a New Life," "Writing to Recover Journal," "The Spiritual Woman: Quotes to Refresh and Sustain Your Soul," "101 Affirmations to Ease Your Grief Journey" and "Happy Again! Your New and Meaningful Life After Loss." Visit her website and learn more about this busy author.

Article Source:http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Harriet_Hodgson

Did you find this article helpful?00Get Involved0 commentsSuggest a topicArticle ToolsPrint this articleE-mail to a friendEzinePublisherReport this articleCite this articleStay InformedGet notified by email when new articles are added to this category or written by this author.Subscribe to New Article Alerts:

Health and Fitness: Weight-Loss
Harriet Hodgson

Email Address:SubscribeWeight Loss Article FeedFind More ArticlesSearchSimilar ArticlesA Healthy Approach to Weight Loss - Interview With Dr Lavinia RodriguezWeight Loss Excuses - How Excuses Will Make You FatHealthy Lifestyle Habits Of Mind To Help Create The Healthy Life You DeservePersonal Ethics and LifeI Can, I Can'tFinding Love in Your Life- 5 Immediate Steps You Can Take Today to Find the Love You Most DesireHow To Achieve Your Fitness GoalsDieting Will Never Be the Same! A Review of "How to Make Your Diet Work"Chapter 1 - The Dimensional Leader: The Line of ResistanceNo Pain No Gain - True Or False?Recent ArticlesThe Best Weight Loss Plan - Eliminating Sugar and Refined Carbohydrates From Your DietThe Ultimate Nutritional Diet Plan to Lose WeightHow to Lose Weight in a Healthy and All-Natural WayLifestyle Fitness Coaching - How to Get Past the Hurdle and Jump Start Your Weight Loss3 Reasons Lifting Weights Works Better Than Cardio for Fat Loss - Especially For Women!Burn Belly Fat and Other Tricks to Look More AttractiveGet Your Figure Back With These Weight Loss TipsLose Weight Quickly With These 5 Great IdeasYour Weight Increases Your Blood PressureThink Your Way ThinSubmitted On January 26, 2012. Viewed 2 times. Word count: 509.

Important Disclaimer: Articles provided are for general information purposes only and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychological, tax, accounting, legal, investment, or any other professional advice. EzineArticles.com expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed by any of our members or anywhere else within the site. Lastly, EzineArticles.com does not endorse any article. Use at your own risk.

MLA Style Citation:
Hodgson, Harriet".".26 Jan. 2012EzineArticles.com.26 Jan. 2012 .APA Style Citation:
Hodgson, H. (2012, January 26). . Retrieved January 26, 2012, from http://ezinearticles.com/?Reach-­a-­Healthy-­Weight-­by-­Eliminating-­Your-­Challenges-­One-­by-­One&id=6842356Chicago Style Citation:
Hodgson, Harriet "." EzineArticles.com. http://ezinearticles.com/?Reach-­a-­Healthy-­Weight-­by-­Eliminating-­Your-­Challenges-­One-­by-­One&id=6842356EzineArticles.com© 2012 EzineArticles.com
All Rights Reserved Worldwide

About UsFAQContact UsMember BenefitsPrivacy PolicyShopSite MapBlogTrainingVideo ArchiveAdvertisingAffiliatesCartoonsAuthorsSubmit ArticlesMembers LoginPremium MembershipExpert AuthorsEndorsementsEditorial GuidelinesTerms of ServicePublishersFollow UsTerms Of ServiceEzines / Email AlertsManage SubscriptionsEzineArticles RSS

View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment